www.narby.net || LinkedIn Profile
Seasoned level design veteran with 15 years of professional experience, I have worked on numerous AAA and high profile single and multiplayer games including Counter-Strike, FarCry and Crysis.
Level Design Director, Crytek GmbH
January 2011 – Present
Responsible for the direction and execution of the Crysis 3 single player campaign, working with a team of 8 level designers with a development period of 18 months from concept to ship. Post Crysis 3, I was responsible for numerous internal projects and demos for full titles, VR as well as re-booting Hunt as an early access title.
- Responsible for design direction and execution of the Crysis 3 single player campaign during a short development cycle on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360
- Working closely with the creative director to translate the 7 wonders theme into the single player campaign missions
- Creating and pitching parts of the game internally and to publishing partners
- Responsible for delivering various marketing materials, videos, demos and live press event play-throughs at various stages of the project
- Processing and reacting to feedback from internal and external evaluation, playtests and reviews
- Responsible for numerous internal pitches and owning new (unannounced) projects in development including VR, early access and existing IP sequels
- Formed part of the core internal team responsible for re-booting Hunt as an early access multiplayer title
Lead Level Designer, Crytek GmbH
November 2007 – January 2011
One of four original team members kicking off the title at pre-production and on to production, built and mentored a team of 18 level designers responsible for mission planning, building and maintaining during the development of Crysis 2.
- Mentoring and encouraging a large team of level designers from conception to production of a AAA title.
- Work closely with Lead designer, Story Writer and Gameplay producer to ensure Single Player quality from all aspects from Fiction to Game Mechanics to Game Flow and Pacing.
- Responsible for translating the open sandbox of Crysis 1 to urban, console friendly environments with the same feeling of freedom.
- Contributing to game design and primary owner of quality within the level design department.
- Responsible for managing and actively profiling technical performance on three platforms as well as documenting, educating and mentoring designers and others to achieve performance milestones.
- Working with story writers, creative director and game designers on planning and implementing game missions and improving them based on feedback, focus tests and internal reviews.
- Primary client to the art department, working closely with them to develop the lighting model, structuring architecture and polishing environments to achieve the desired mood and look of the game.
- Technical liaison to internal RnD and Code departments, ensuring technical guidelines are met and troubleshooting tech issues and transitioning CryEngine to a multi-platform development.
- Responsible for personal appraisals, interviews and other management tasks within the department.
Lead multiplayer designer, Crytek GmbH
July 2003 – November 2007
- Managed a small team to produce a AAA quality multiplayer experience in under 8 months
- Adjusting game balance and rolling out new game features based on playtest feedback and group analysis
- Working with a design team to create, iterate and balance multiplayer levels
- Organized internal and external play-testing of the multiplayer component of Crysis
- Worked closely with various departments to execute the needs within the multiplayer department
- Responsible for personal appraisals, interviews and other management tasks within the department
Contractual Level designer for Valve software LLC
July 2000 – June 2003
- Produced and maintained a number of independently developed levels for Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat mods, published by Valve
- Maps include: de_aztec, de_inferno, cs_thunder, de_vertigo
- Highly active community member, participating in public play tests, interviews and other community activities
Level designer at Gearbox software LLC
August 2001 – April 2002
- Worked with a team of 10 people to create several missions for Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
- Play tested, provided feedback and collaborated on missions included in the releases
- Designed, built and maintained missions and collaborated with other designers on improvements to them
- Worked independently off site to develop a several multiplayer missions for Bond 007: Nightfire.
Level Designer at Counter-Strike Mod
May 1999 – June 2003
- Independently designed, created and maintained a number of poplar levels for the worlds most popular online FPS title
- Participated in online testing and feedback for missions tested publicly
- Responsible for all art, design, balance and sound elements of levels.
- Created several of the most played missions released with the title
- Produced a number of official maps for the CPL (Cyber-Athlete Professional League) $250,000 tournament.
- Enjoyed every minute of seeing them played by so many people for so long.
- CryEngine 1, 2 and 3, fluent in Worldcraft and Hammer. Basic knowledge of Unreal ED, Build.
- Microsoft Performance Investigator for XBox (PIX).
- Active interest in C++, LUA, Game technologies, Performance profiling.
- Photoshop, Visual Studio
- SCRUM, Project management, JIRA, Confluence
- Familiar with Maya and 3DS Max at a beginner level
- General tool including Photoshop, Office et al.
2013 Red Dot Award Winner: http://red-dot-21.com/design/crysis-3/
Food, Cooking, Music, Documentaries, Architecture, History, Pursuit of the perfect Steak, Deus Ex.
References available upon request